Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the frequently asked questions portion of our website.

If you have questions about Little Rock Wastewater, the answers may be found in these FAQs, grouped by topic. Please search the category that best suits your question. If you are unable to find the answer you seek, don’t hesitate to contact us or submit your question using our Information Request Form.


Employment & Career Opportunities

Q.  How can I get a job at Little Rock Wastewater?

A.  Check out the Career Opportunities page on this web site to find vacancies and qualifications needed to apply. You may fill out an employment application if a vacancy exists for a position in which you are qualified. To obtain an application, call 501-688-1458 or visit our office at 11 Clearwater Drive. 


LRW Operations

Q. What is LRW?

A. Little Rock Wastewater is the sanitary sewer service provider for the City of Little Rock. After water is used in your bathroom, kitchen, or laundry room wastewater is transported to either the Adams Field or Fourche Creek treatment plants, where the wastewater is treated then released into the Arkansas River. The treated wastewater often exceeds the water quality standards of the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Q. What is the difference between water and wastewater?

A. Water refers to potable water or water that is fit to drink. It comes from the tap and is also used for cooking and personal hygiene, as well as commercial operations. Wastewater is the end result of drinking water. Water released after doing laundry, washing dishes, cooking, bathing, etc. This wastewater is treated by LRW and released into the environment after quality standards are met.

Q. What plans does LRW have for additional capacity needs?

A. We are in the midst of a 20-year capital improvement plan to increase capacity, update antiquated portions of the system and provide service to areas that are not connected to the system.

Q. Why are renovations needed?

A. Much of the existing system of wastewater collection is very old; some of it dates back to the 1800s. In the older areas of the city where the old part of the system is still in tact, improvements need to be made to increase capacity and update technology.

Q. If I see a manhole overflowing, what should I do?

A. If you see a sanitary sewer overflow, you should call the LRW and report it at 223-1509, the dispatch facility. After reporting the problem, do not try to take action regarding the overflow yourself. Once the call is made, a LRW crew will be dispatched, if it is not already on its way.

Q. If I live near an overflow site, can I go into my backyard where the wastewater overflowed or is overflowing?

A. In periods of heavy rain or right after, the water coming from the overflow is about one part wastewater to three parts rainwater. There is a minimal health risk for contact with the water, but it is better to err on the side of caution. Children should not play in or around the manholes at any time.

Q. If I live in the city of LR, but am not served by LRW, what should I do?

A. Contact LRW at 376-2903 to leave your name, address and contact number. You will be personally contacted for more information to determine whether you can access the system.



Q. Who do I contact with questions about my water bill?

A. All customer inquiries go to Billing Services at 372-5161 during normal business hours Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. That number is listed on your bill in several places. If you want to contact that office by e-mail, go to the Central Arkansas Water (CAW) web site.

Q. What is an AWC?

A. Your Average Winter Consumption (AWC), which is noted near the top of your water bill, is calculated by averaging the residential customers actual consumptions for the months of October through March.

For example, a household might have the following actual consumption:

  • October - 7 Hundreds Cubic Feet (CCF)
  • November - 6 CCF
  • December - 6 CCF
  • January - 7 CCF
  • February - 8 CCF
  • March - 7 CCF

The total would be 41 CCF then divided by 6 (the number of months), which results in 6.84 CCF then rounded to 7 CCF, which is the AWC.

Q. How do I determine my total sewer bill?

A. Add the minimum availability charge and volumetric charges.

For example, using an AWC of 7, here is the computation:

  • Minimum service availability: $10.78
  • Volumetric charge: $3.98 x 7
  • Total: $38.64


Commercial Customers

Q. Why is my business charged for actual consumption rather than an AWC?

A. The rate ordinance approved by the City of Little Rock allows non-residential customers to be charged on actual consumption according to the size of the water meter servicing the property.

Q. What are the fees for commercial connections or service?
A. Consolidated Fee Schedule


New Customers

Q. How do I set up service for the first time?

A. Call the Central Arkansas Water office at 372-5161 during normal business hours Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.

Q. Why don’t I have an AWC?

A. Until you have gone through the first cycle of winter months, from October to March, you will be billed on actual consumption. After that, your AWC will be calculated.

Stay Connected




Customer Information


Business Information


About Us                 





Contact Us

Little Rock Wastewater
11 Clearwater Dr. 
Little Rock, AR 72204

Phone: (501) 376-2903
Fax: (501) 688-1409